We introduce here the main features of DaDaBIK, for a detailed list of the features, see the pricing page.
Low code development platform
DaDaBIK is a no-code / low-code development platform that can be used to quickly develop any type of database-driven application without coding.
Ok, but what is exactly a no-code / low-code platform?
Instead of writing your application using a programming language (such as PHP, Python or Java) you can build the application using a "point and click" approach, even if you don't have any coding skill (that's why no-code): starting from a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite) you can generate a basic Web data-entry application in minutes and then customize it with very little effort. If you have some SQL and/or PHP skills, even better: you can add some code that can customize even more the application crated (and that's why platforms like DaDaBIK are called low-code development platforms). For example you can add custom formatting functions, custom validation functions or - through DaDaBIK hooks - add more sophisticated application logic to be executed when a certain even occurs, e.g. when a new record is inserted in a particular table.
Here are some examples of applications: library management, knoledge management archive, simple CRM applications, sales management applications, real estatement listing management, help desk, wharehouse management, membership management, photo collection management, customers/suppliers management, general data-entry applications, on-line databases. Any application that has to do with data collecting or consulting is a good candidate for DaDaBIK development.
Form generator, Datagrids generator
The first thing that DaDaBIK does after the installation is to automatically creates, for each table of your database, some standard, responsive, forms that you can use to insert, modify and delete data and a standard grid report that you can use to see, search for and filter data.
For each table field DaDaBIK tries to guess what is the best DaDaBIK field type / content type to use; then, if the guess doesn't satisfy your needs, you can customize the settings choosing from 16 field types (including lookup fields, whose data is coming from another table) and 8 content type. For example you can set, for the field email_customer, a simple textbox as a field type and email as content type, so that the email address is validated before insertion. A number of other parameters can be set using the form configurator in order to customize even more the forms and datagrids.
A master/details view (or subform) is also available: you can represent in the same page a form and one or more connected results grid: for example you can see the details of an order with the items included in the order.
With DaDaBIK you can easily produce pie charts, bar charts and line charts based on the application data. Both a simple mode (create a graph in two clicks) and an advanced mode (write your custom SQL query as source of the graph) are provided.
Users and permissions management
DaDaBIK provides a sophisticated granular permissions model that allows you to configure the set of data a user can manage and the operations they can execute on the data. Each user belongs to a group and for each group you can decide:
- the data the belonging users can access (e.g. you can say that the "sale agents" group can't see the suppliers table or can see just a few fields)
- the operations the belonging users can execute (e.g sale agents can insert new customers but they can't delete existing customers)
The ownership of a record (the user who created a record is considered its owner) can be also used as a parameter to authorize some operations: for example you can choose that a record can be deleted/modified only by the user who created it.
DaDaBIK can also takes users and groups from your existing users table or via LDAP authentication.
Advanced, business-oriented data integrity features
If you work in a business environment, you know how much data is valuable. You don't want to store wrong, not consistent data in your database and you surely don't want to loose your data because of a software failure. Also, you need an application that tries to prevent, if possible, human mistakes. DaDaBIK provides:
- Record locking: a record which is being edited by a user is not available for editing operation by other users, to prevent data loss.
- Duplication checking: during records insertion, DaDaBIK can check the similarity with existing records, to prevent record duplication. The similarity threshold can be set according to your needs (e.g. 80%).
- Operations logging: insert, update and delete operations are logged in a log table. This can help a data recovery procedure in case of data loss.
- HTML sanitization: Sde this Wikipedia entry for details about HTML sanitization
- Secure passwords storage: users' passwords are encrypted; three password hashing methods are available and the system chooses the best one according to what the current environment can provide. All three employ salting, stretching, and variable iteration counts.
DaDaBIK is here to stay
This is not a feature but it is something you should carefuflly evaluate when you invest in a software solution. How many times have you tried an apparently cool and full featured software and then, after a couple of months, you discovered that the project has been abandoned?
DaDaBIK was one of the very first no-code / low-code development platform for the Web, it's available since 2001 and it is regularly updated.