Use DaDaBIK as a CRUD / database frontend generator
This is one of the simplest thing you can do with DaDaBIK.
You have a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server or SQLite) and you want to create a Web frontend so that other people can interact with it online, providing search, insert, edit and delete capabilities through a bunch of Web forms and Web tables.
This is basically what a CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) system does.
If you already have the database, DaDaBIK can create a user friendly, responsive, enterprise-ready CRUD interface in one click. If you don't have a database yet, don't worry you can create it with DaDaBIK itself, defining TABLES and VIEWS, and then the CRUD generator will automatically build its interface.
Video 1: A database front-end created by DaDaBIK without coding.
DaDaBIK smart guessing
DaDaBIK tries to guess the optimal CRUD interface settings according to your database schema, let me give you a few examples:
- You set a field as "NOT NULL"? DaDaBIK will make it "required" in the related Web form
- You have a field whose name contains the word "email"? DaDaBIK guesses the field contains email values therefore it will add an email validation rule to the field
- You set a referential integrity constraint between two fields? DaDaBIK will set the first field as a "lookup field": a drop-down menu whose values depends on the values of the seconds field.
Why can't I use a DB Admin tool?
You might wonder why you can't use a DB admin tool such as PHPMyAdmin for the same purpose. PHPMyAdmin and other DB admin tools are very powerfull for the ADMINISTRATION of a database, the target user is typically the DB admin. When it comes to data-entry capabilities, there are at least two limitations:
- their interface is not intended for the final user
- they lack some advanced data entry features
With DaDaBIK you can create a very simple interface, containing only the features you need, that any person (even the less tech-savvy) can use, even from mobile.
Here are a few things you can do with DaDaBIK that you can't do with a typical DB Admin tool:
- Easily hide some fields / tables to a particular user group
- Conditional fields (something like show field "State" only if "Country" is "USA")
- Create complex validation rules to prevent the insertion of inconsistent data
- Alert via email someone when a record is modified / inserted in a particular table
- Track the history of record revisions
- Easily change the label of a field
- Integrate your front-end in a Wordpress site
- Create a dashboard containing some key indicators of your data
- Check for duplication or similarity between records before inserting
- Create master/details views (also called subform, e.g. an invoice heading with the related invoice items)
- Inject your HTML code in the front-end application you have created, to personalize (e.g. adding messages, help pages) and improve the layout
- Remove unneeded features
Questions about this use case or about DaDaBIK in general? Contact us, we'll get in touch very soon.