DaDaBIK as a CRUD / database frontend generator
What is a CRUD Generator?
First things first. What does CRUD stand for?
CRUD is an acronym which sums up all the functions you need to be able to work with a data in a database on a daily basis. CRUD stands for Create, Read, Update, Delete—these are standard database commands.
A CRUD generator, or CRUD framework, provides a simple and easy way to create a frontend interface to allow users to interact with, use, and update a database—to do things like search, insert, edit, and delete information in the database, using web forms and web tables.
Using DaDaBIK as a PHP CRUD/Database Frontend Generator
DaDaBIK makes it simple and easy to generate a CRUD admin interface from an existing database.
DaDaBIK works with a wide range of databases, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, and SQLite databases. You can even generate a CRUD interface from an Excel spreadsheet. If you already have the database, DaDaBIK can create a user-friendly, responsive, enterprise-ready CRUD interface in one click.
If you don't have a database yet, don't worry. You can first use DaDaBIK for defining the appropriate database tables and views, and then the CRUD generator automatically builds the appropriate frontend interface.
Video 1: A database front-end created by DaDaBIK without coding.
Use DaDaBIK’s “Smart Guess” Interface Settings to Save Time
DaDaBIK is programmed to save you time by analyzing your database schema, guessing the optimal CRUD interface settings. Some examples:
- Fields that are set as "NOT NULL" in the database automatically become required fields on the web form.
- Fields that contain the word “email” automatically have email validation rules set up on the form.
- If you’ve set up a referential integrity (foreign key) constraint between two fields, DaDaBIK automatically sets up the first field as a lookup field and uses the values from the second field to populate a drop-down menu.
Of course, once built, you can always change any of these settings, and customize the frontend to look and function exactly how you want it to.
You own your data, NO data Vendor Lock-In
You design the database and DaDaBIK creates a CRUD application over it, without altering the database schema. DaDaBIK only adds additional tables whose name is prefixed by dadabik_ (or any other prefix you prefer) that contain all its configurations.
The data is stored in raw format and you can export or migrate it whenever you want.
Why Not Just Use a DB Admin Tool?
Sure, you can interact with online databases with an out-of-the-box DB admin tool such as PHPMyAdmin. PHPMyAdmin and other DB admin tools are powerful for managing databases, but they’re really developed to be used by the DB admin, not by end (non-technical) users.
Using a DB admin tool for data entry is not ideal, for a couple reasons:
- Because it’s powerful, the interface is complicated. It’s not designed for data entry; it’s designed for database admin tasks.
- It lacks some advanced data entry features which can save time (and increase accuracy).
DaDaBIK allows you to create simple interfaces which include only the features and fields users need. You can create intuitive, easy-to-learn and easy-to-use interfaces that anyone (even the less tech-savvy) can use, even on their mobile device.
Need some more examples? Here are some things that are easy to accomplish with DaDaBIK that you can't do with a typical DB admin tool:
- Hide some fields/tables to a particular user group
- Set up conditional fields (like only showing a “state” pulldown if the “country” field is set to “USA”)
- Set up complex validation rules to prevent the insertion of inconsistent data
- Send automatic email alerts when a record is modified or inserted into a particular table
- Track the history of record revisions
- Easily change field labels
- Integrate your frontend in a WordPress website
- Create a dashboard displaying key indicators
- Check for duplication or similarity between records before inserting
- Create master/details views (also called a subform) such as an invoice heading with the related invoice items
- Personalize and improve the layout of your frontend web application by injecting HTML code, or set up custom messages and help pages
- Easily remove any features you don’t need
Ready to try DaDaBIK?
Want to know what users say about DaDaBIK? Check the reviews
Questions about using DaDaBIK as a CRUD generator or about DaDaBIK in general? Contact us, and we'll be in touch.