Using the users table

meanster99

DaDaBIK version 7.0 ENTERPRISE
PHP Version: 5.3.28
mysql version: 5.5.35
Web server: Apache/2.4.10 (Unix)
Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0

Hi,

My project is a very simple CPD database.

I will require just 2 or 3 tables initially - a table of staff members and a table of training courses completed (including hours taken and cost of course). I will likely create a third table for course names for normalisation purposes. I will then give each staff member their own login.

My question is this; can I just use the Dadabik users table for holding my staff records (and add one or two extra fields to it) rather than having to have 2 tables for containing virtually the same records (i.e. my own staff members table AND the Dadabik Users table)?

Thanks,
Matt

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
the users, groups and custom pages tables are kind of "special" and they are treated in a slightly different way by the code respect to other tables. I would say it should work, though. Of course if you add fields you need to update the table via "db synchro".
Also, remember that only admins can see the users table.

meanster99

Hi Eugenio,

Thank you. I decided to create a separate table for my staff, so as not to come across any problems later down the line (due to the special nature of the DaDaBik tables), as well as it now allowing other groups to view it. I was trying to avoid having to create records twice for each user, but the small amount of extra work in the beginning will probably serve me well later on, so it's actually better I've decided not to be lazy!

Thanks,
Matt