Primary key table and field question

asalazar

I just recently acquired DaDabik and I'm using version 4.6. I was wondering if for a select_single one can associate the options to show from a different table and field (which is done with the Primary key table and Primary Key field), however the twist is if the value can be from a different field.

For instance, the example of the album_tab and author_tab. I would like to insert a new record of an Album and one of the fields to be "author" which I would like to link with the author_tab and its field author_id. However, Assume that author_id is a number or a coded ID (such as the one generated by unique_ID), the displayed options would have to come from author_name, author_lastname (in order for one to be able to recognize the option, because it would be hard from a the unique_ID), and in the case of the correct author not being there to add (I guess using other choices allowed? Y) the new author and for it to be assigned a new unique_ID (however from what I read I believe it is limited to an autoincrement scenario).

Any and all help will be appreciated, I am sure its a simple thing but have spent a couple of days trying to figure it out.

DebbieS

DaDaBIK Guru
Put the name of the field you want displayed in the option list in the "Linked Fields" box.

For your example:
Primary key table ... author_tab
Primary key field ... author_id
Linked fields ... author_name~author_lastname