Multiple instances under one domain

CurtisM

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up a dev server with multiple instances if DaDaBik (using different folders, databases and config_custom.php files) under a single domain. I have the separate instances of the DaDaBik files installed in two separate folders at the same level (same parent folder).

The first one installed works, but the second does not.

Is this allowed?
If it is allowed, how should the separate instances be set up?

Thanks for any assistance.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
it is allowed and the fact the two apps are on the same domain does not have any impact on DaDaBIK; if one of them doesn't work, the reason is not the domain.

Best,

deep64blue

DaDaBIK Guru
how should the separate instances be set up?
If you have different folders, databases and config_custom.php files they should be unaware of the other app - what error messages do you get?

There are two configurations you could try setting in config_custom.php to see if they help:-

// DaDaBIK complete url (e.g. http://www.mysite.com/john/dadabik/, REMEMBER the trailing slash)
// YOU CAN SAFELY LEAVE THIS PARAMETER EMPTY (''), you should try to set it only in two cases:
// 1) IF DADABIK REDIRECTS YOU TO THE WRONG URL AFTER LOGIN
// 2) IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES DISPLAYING IMAGES IN PDF
$site_url = '';

// DaDaBIK site path is the path your session cookies are valid for
// YOU CAN LEAVE THIS OPTION EMPTY (''), NORMALLY IT IS CORRECTLY GUESSED BY DADABIK
// If you want extra security, you can set it manually: if you execute DaDaBIK from e.g. http://www.mysite.com/john/dadabik/ the site path must be /john/dadabik/, remember to put slashes at the beginning and at the end; put just one slash '/' if DaDaBIK is installed in the root of a Website, (e.g. http://www.mysite.com/)

$site_path = '';

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
If you have different folders, databases and config_custom.php files they should be unaware of the other app - what error messages do you get?

There are two configurations you could try setting in config_custom.php to see if they help:-
$site_url and $site_path are needed only in very rare occasions though. Two applications on the same domain don't need them, DaDaBIK is almost unaware of the "domain", it only cares of the URL it is installed on. mysite.com/a and mysite.com/b are, for DaDaBIK, two distinct URLs and that's enough.

Best,

CurtisM

It's working now. The problem seems to have been in config_custom.php. I checked it carefully and noticed the $secret_key parameter had a leading space and no special characters. After editing the file the install process worked. Probably a common problem for new players. I imagine practice will bring better success. In the meantime, thanks for your help.