Header & footer and logo changes

meanster99

Hi Eugenio,

I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to make changes to the header/footer and (remove/change the dadabik) logo without the changes getting overwritten by future updates?

I can't see any way of making these sort of changes within the Admin dashboard, so I assume the changes need to be made to the source files? Would be great to see the ability to change these things in the admin area in a future release!

Thanks,
Matt

You are using DaDaBIK version 8.0-Lerici enterprise, installed on 14-06-2017 (installation code: 125685940bf0f43a66), the latest version of DaDaBIK is 8.0-Lerici released on 24-04-2017

You are runnning the last release of DaDaBIK

PHP Version: 7.0.20

mysql version: 5.5.5-10.1.24-MariaDB

Web server: Apache/2.4.26 (Unix)

Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.110 Safari/537.36

tpassett

Hi.

I am not sure about the header/footer part, but you can rename the logo.png in the images folder and place whatever .png image you want as long as you give it the original DaDaBik file name. If you refresh your page, the new imagr should be there.

Tbis eay you

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Matt,
tpassett is right, the logo shouldn't be an issue: when you upgrade DaDaBIK, you just replace again the logo with your own version.

About header and footer: yes you have to work on the files, I know that if you make a lot of modification it can be time consuming to apply again those modification when you upgrade DaDaBIK, but there isn't any perfect solution for that. Those files are quite stable but can change so even assuming that DaDaBIK can track the changes you made, how can we automatically apply those changes if the header and footer change in the official distribution?

It's like changing a template in a CMS: if you make heavy changes to the source code, you have to deal with the fact that the template can be upgraded and change and therefore you have to re-apply your changes to the new template.

As I said, those files are quite stable so in my opinion the best practice is:
1) you keep track of your changes
2) when you upgrade dadabik, you check (there are many tools to do it) if header and footer has changed respect to the previous version
3) if they haven't (as it often happens) you just use your customized files, otherwise you re-apply your changes to the new files.

Best,

meanster99

Thanks guys - I figured the logo image swap out no problems, I just wondered if there was some easier way within the admin dashboard or config.php file that I had missed, but it appears there isn't.

I guess I hoped you could do something similar to how you allow custom changes to the language files in english_custom.php, Eugenio, whereby you could change simple things like the 'powered by' links and the logo etc. A child theme in Wordpress kinda thing.

But as I'm not making too many changes, it's not hard to update the files if they are overwritten during updates, but would be nice to have the option to change logo and footer text more easily in a future release!

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Matt,
yes probably there are a few elements that could be modified directly from the admin interface, I will think about it.

Best,