Cannot edit/change custom home menu HTML content in new DaDaBik application

So, we just installed a brand new application with 11.6 platinum and every time I go into the custom page home page and make changes to the HTML it says it is being saved when I click the save button, but when I come back it is the original default text again. Is there some step I am missing?

Not sure what the problem is. I also tried going to permissions and assigning the home menu to the admin group but that didn't help.

My details:

You are using DaDaBIK version 11.6-Elba platinum, installed on 08-17-2022 (installation code: 1814062fda45871226), the latest version of DaDaBIK is 11.7-Elba released on 08-18-2022

System info​

PHP Version: 7.4.6

mysql version: 5.5.5-10.5.13-MariaDB

Web server: Apache

Client: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/104.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
if you open the source code to directly add HTML you will have two SAVE buttons and sometimes this can be confusing.
You have a SAVE button that is related to TinyMCE, this will save the code in the rich editor but then you have to click on the DaDaBIK "SAVE CHANGES" button. Maybe this is the reason?

Best,

That seems like a good lead, however when I edit the HTML in the TinyMCE editor I am not finding a save button anywhere, not on the File, Edit, or View menus. I tried clicking the save buttons on the page above and below the Tiny
MCE editor in various orders but I am never able to get the changes I made to the HTML to stick. Where exactly should the save button be in TinyMCE? 1660939831086.png

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you use the tool-> source code feature, that's where the save button appears.
If you are using the GUI instead, and you click on "SAVE CHANGES", there is no reason why you shouldn't get your content saved.
Are you sure the page you are editing is the one you see in the application?
Maybe you can make a short video to show what is happenning.

Best,

Eugenio,
I found the save button on the source menu as you indicated. That is really not intuitively located! I was not using that before. However, using that button in concert with the Save changes button on the custom pages page still did not result in the edits being preserved. Of note is that when I click on the save changes button nothing happens. I was expecting one of those green popups dialogs to indicate the action was acknowledged. It seems like it could be a permissions thing.

In any case I could make a recording if you could recommend a good tool to do so with. Or I could take a bunch of screenshots with the snipping tool.

-Todd

The site is not letting me upload the video I make. When I try to upload the mp4 file it is too big. When I 7zip the file to make it is smaller the site blocks the upload. I tried renaming the mp4 extension to jpg but then the upload fails with an error. Not sure what to try next.

So, after upgrading our scripts to support the Elba 11.7 platinum release, we installed a new test application and went through the motions to see if this problem making static menu customizations was still present.

I have assigned a user account to the associated application database and have updated the related fields in the config_custom.php file. I can see the tables present in the data tab of the admin page so I know the schema is being read by the application.

However, the application is still not honoring any changes made via the application admin pages, particularly the custom pages menu. Also, the permissions tab is always blank so I cannot do anything there to add permissions in case that is the problem.. If I edit the database tables directly like `dadabik_static_pages` I can get customizations to appear on the application menu but changes cannot be made through the admin pages. This has only been happening since we started using the 11.6 and 11.7 versions. Previously we had v11.1 and everything worked correctly. We initially had some issues moving to 11.6/7for our settings where LDAP not working but we worked through those problems by editing the custom php file to match all the latest documentation. Please advise on how to best troubleshoot this problem where database changes are not persistent.

Thanks

-Todd

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
please open an email support ticket so we can analyze the problem in detail.

Best,

So, I think we found the problem and should not need to open an e-mail ticket for further troubleshooting.

. We had made some customizations in the header.php file in the app include folder to add a different logo image at the login prompt. When we upgraded from 11.1 to 11.6 we ported our custom_config.php file forward but forgot to check if header.php had new content starting with 11.2. It indeed had a lot of changes so starting with the 11.7 header.php file and adding the logo customization again fixed all the strange database issues.

I am amazed that the application worked at the level it did with these differences and will be extra careful when upgrading versions in the future. Minimizing code customizations seems like the best way to go if possible and we are so thankful for all the built in mechanisms to do this in the software.

What would be the easiest way to display a message to the user below the login logo (via CSS I assume) so we no longer need to maintain a customized header.php file?

Thanks!

So we are trying this code snippet in the styles_screen_custom.css file but it is not aligning correctly between the logo and the menu. Any suggestions on the best way to do this are appreciated...
.table_interface_container_tr_logo_login:after { content: 'MESSAGE TEXT'; }

Thanks...

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
So, I think we found the problem and should not need to open an e-mail ticket for further troubleshooting.

. We had made some customizations in the header.php file in the app include folder to add a different logo image at the login prompt. When we upgraded from 11.1 to 11.6 we ported our custom_config.php file forward but forgot to check if header.php had new content starting with 11.2. It indeed had a lot of changes so starting with the 11.7 header.php file and adding the logo customization again fixed all the strange database issues.

I am amazed that the application worked at the level it did with these differences and will be extra careful when upgrading versions in the future. Minimizing code customizations seems like the best way to go if possible and we are so thankful for all the built in mechanisms to do this in the software.

What would be the easiest way to display a message to the user below the login logo (via CSS I assume) so we no longer need to maintain a customized header.php file?

Thanks!

Yes you should never, unless you really have to, change header and footer code. If you really need to (sometimes I also need to do it), it should be just for cosmetic changes and you should write a note to remind to re-apply them after upgrade.

Maybe we could add additional layout hooks to the UI, at the moment there isn't an "after logo" layout hook, so you definitely have to play a bit with CSS, trying the result on more than a browser, to add a custom message under the logo.

Best,

This code added to styles_screen_custom.css seems to work for us in Chrome and Edge. As a result we no longer have to have header.php customizations so that makes application maintenance and upgrades much easier. An additional layout hook after the logo would still be appreciated though. :)
.table_interface_container_tr_logo_login { display: block; } .table_interface_container_tr_logo_login::after { content: 'MESSAGE TEXT'; display: inline-block; width: 100% white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: white; inline-size: 449px; font-weight: 700; padding-bottom: 5px; overflow-wrap: break-word; }

Last edited: