Blank Admin and Index Pages

egurevich

Hi.
I was running the free Dadabik 4 for the past 5 years. But my server provider upgraded to PHP 5.5 and it stopped working. So I purchased the latest Pro version of Dadabik 6.2 and installed a clean database, so I can start from scratch. The problem is after what seemed like a successful install the admin.php and index.php pages come up blank. No errors, just white pages. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I turned on the debug mode, but it's not showing up with anything. I also tried logging in with the root user that's provided and it looks like it logs me in, but then the page is blank again.

dbms_type = mysql
dadabik_version = 6.2 PRO
os = Linux info 3.0 #1337 SMP Tue Jan 01 00:00:00 CEST 2000 all GNU/Linux
php_version = 5.5.16
date_time = 2014-09-21 02:08:33
On-line registration done......your installation code is: 8512541e92f8a214f

My dadabik website is here:

http://www.seforimonline.org/seforimdb/

Need help most urgently, because the site is already down for a few days due to the database not working.

Thanks
Eli

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
if instal shows up it is very weird, are you sure you haven't modified any file (except from config.php)? I ask it because sometimes it happens that a wrong modification causes syntax errors and the server has been set up to produce blank page when a syntax error is found.
You should also see your PHP error logs to see if an error has been generated.

egurevich

My provider (I am using 1and1.com) informed me that their system does not have access tothe PHP logs so we can't look at that.

However, I did try a bunch of stuff, as follows:

I can set the server to run one of the following PHP versions: 5.2, 5.4, 5.5 and 5.6. If I set it to 5.2, then nothing works and Dadabik gives me a bunch of errors. However, Dadabik version 4.2 runs ok. But if I set the server to any other PHP version (5.4, 5.5 or 5.6) then Dadabik 6.2 installs ok, but index.php and admin.php come up blank. However, Dadabik 4,2 does not run at all with any of these PHP versions and gives out errors.

I do remember from 5 years ago that when I was setting up Dadabik 4.2 it had some kind of a problem with the CSS templates and it would not load them properly. So the work around for that was I copied the contents of the CSS template into header.php and then instead of linking to the CSS file it loaded the CSS template directly in every page and then it worked. You can probably find my old posts ont he forum about this. So I tried the same thing with Dadabik 6.2. It did not work.

I am also wondering if this has something to do with the $enable_authentication = 1; variable. If it's set to 0 then nothing loads and I get an error that the user does not have permissions. But if it's set to 1 and I go to login.php it allows me to login but then comes up with a balnk page which only has the dadabik picture logo on it at the top and no other text.

Could it be that something int he database is not set right?

Thanks
Eli

egurevich

2 additional questions:

1) Does it matter that the storage engine on the mysql server is set to MyISAM, where as all the tables written by Dadabik are InnoDB?
2) Does it matter that the Collation written by Dadabik is set on all tables to latin1_general_ci, but the server's default is set to utf8_general_ci ?

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
do you confirm you didn't change any of the file except from config.php? This is a very important step to check. To be 100% sure, I would start from a fresh installation (using the original package). Can you post here your config.php (hiding private information)?

DaDaBIK works with utf-8 database so everything should be in UTF-8; if the database default is in utf-8 how can be possible that the dadabik tables are in latin?
About innodb: having innodb everywhere is the best choice for data consistency but I can't see any relationship with your problem (even the utf-8 thing shouldn't produce this specific problem).