Advanced Control of Addition/Edit/Delete

Simun

Dadabik v4.2 PHP Version 4.3.9 MySQL 3.23.49 Win2000 Server.

moving soon to
Dadabik v4.2 PHP Version 5.2.9 MySQL 5.0.77 Linux Server.

I have a two folders setup as decribed in the documentation and it works as expected.

The base folder installation purely permits viewing of one data table, but not the user account table.

The admin folder installation allows insert/edit/delete of the entire record set of one data table, but not the user account table.

This is when the system is accessed from the same normal type user account.

Accessing the folders via an admin type account allows configuration and access to the dadabik_user table too.

I am a bit staggered by the fact it works so big thank you Eugene, Debs and anyone else involved in developing and supporting this system.

This is the situation I face which I do not understand how best to solve.

The system I am working on is for a self help organisation with a Helpline manned by approximately 200 Helpline Staff in total. We are all unpaid workers.

The Helpline Staff operate one at a time or maybe as a pair either separately or located together.

So the people involved in the system are
200 Helpline Staff (1 or 2 accessing at any one time),
1000 locally situated Volunteers (whose details are held in the main table on the system) and
2 Helpline Co-ordinators.

The data table would be accessed by the Helpline Staff and would hold details of say 1000 Volunteers located throughout the UK some of whom can assist the people phoning the Helpline from their local area.

The Helpline Staff can then search quickly for locally based Volunteers who can help each Caller best.

Each of the Helpline Staff should be able to view and search all of the Volunteer records in the single table.

My issue comes up with regard to addition, amendment and removal of the Volunteer info.

Amendments to volunteer details records really need to be suggested by Helpline Staff and maybe by Volunteers too, but not made live until one of the two Helpline Co-ordinators sees the suggested changes and approves or denies them.

I am currently at a loss in understanding quite how to control such operation.

It could potentially be achieved by adding say 2 fields
1. status field -
with values of ~suggested~live~superceded~
2. a live from date field = date when it was approved.

A current record could be viewed, a copy made of the record with suggested changes to it and then submitted to the system, but not viewable in the live system. Maybe a separate table could be employed to facilitate this process.

A co-ordinator then could see these records and approve them - making them live and in doing so make the old copy ~superceded~.

I really don't know quite how best to efficiently manage the data this way so am asking for ideas.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

Simon.