Case Sensitive searching

dmajwool

Hello,

I would like to make the DaDaBiK searches to be case insensitive. At the moment all my searches are case sensitive.

I understand that there may be some control over this done by the mysql server, so I did the following.

I switched on $display_sql = 1; in config.php and ran a search in DaDaBiK.

the relevant part of the DaDaBiK sql was:-

WHERE `phpbb_users`.`username` LIKE '%david%'

DaDaBiK returns just the one username that contains "david_xxx"

If I change the DaDaBiK search and search for :-

WHERE `phpbb_users`.`username` LIKE '%David%'

I see a dozen or so results with the capitalised "DavidXxx"

If I switch to phpMyAdmin on the same database table and run the following sql:-

SELECT * FROM `phpbb_users` WHERE `phpbb_users`.`username` LIKE "%david%"

phpMyAdmin returns many records. As well as the "david_xxx" one, I see a dozen or so "DavidXxx", "DavidYyy" and so on.

So it seems like the DaDaBiK search is case sensitive where the phpMyAdmin search is not case sensitive.

I would like DaDaBiK to return the dozen or so mixed case records with a non case sensitive search.

Many thanks for your advice,
David.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
it's very strange, the result in phpmyadmin and dadabik should be the same, there isn't any additional check in DaDaBIK to make the query case sensitive; can you double check it and can you check (in phpmyadmin) which is the collation of the field username ?

best,

Mbeauc636

I had this same issue on some fields that were set to collate UTF8_BIN. I altered them to UTF8_GENERAL_CI for case-insensitve.

ALTER TABLE 'tablename'
MODIFY COLUMN columname VARCHAR(255) SET UTF8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

Searches now work and are not case sensitive. My tables are static so dadabik is just used for a front-end for me so I am not sure on side effects of performance for doing this if any. Google search utf8_bin vs utf8_general_ci for more information on this.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
I confirm that UTF8_BIN provides case sensitive comparison, but if you should get the same result with phpmyadmin or any other sql client.

Best,