Missing Icons

Ronb2108

Hi .. just bought dadabik pro as it looks like it might do the job (or at least part of it) for a society membership database. I've been playing with it to get an idea of how it works and have one main issue and a couple of questions at the moment.

The main issue ... I've created a MySql database with a few fields and then added them using DBSyncho. The records and fields all show in the front end but the three icons (view, delete and edit) are missing. I've tried changing permissions (which are all set to 'yes') and looked in detail at the field definitions but I can't see anything that might give me back those 3 icons.

Some questions:

1) When I log in as admin, I see two main Admin entries in the sidebar, one with a users sub menu and the other with groups sub-menu. In the demos, there is one admin entry with users and groups as sub-menus. How do I get this structure ?

2) Can someone explain how the password system works please i.e. when I edit a user the password has 'hash' in parens and then a link to 'crypter'. What is this all about please as non-crypted passwords entered directly into the password field don't seem to work.

And finally, could I ask for some advice ? I know Wordpress pretty well and I'm looking to implement a society membership system with different membership types and subscription rates. I also need to record in the database dates when subscriptions were taken out so I can send email renewal notices and invoices and then update the DB when payments are received.

I was thinking of using dadabik as simply a CRUD interface to keep static membership data up to date and then maybe write a WP plugin and code to do all the other more dynamic stuff.

Question: would it make more sense (and is it possible) to do everything with dadabik ? I would need to be able to have a view which is basically a subset of the database for expired subscriptions and then click buttons which would invoke plugin function to dynamically create the renewal emails/invoices.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Ron

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ron,
do your tables have a primary Key? If not, that could be a reason for not showing icons.

Your questions:

1) Which PHP version are you using?

2) Just follow the instructions: click on crypter, set your password, click on "crypt it" and then on "register password and exit".

About the last question: it is difficult to advise without going into the details of the application; what I can say is that there isn't a built-it method in DaDaBIK to link a button to a custom function. Custom functions can be used to validate data, to format data, to execute some custom operations when a database event happens (e.g. after update, after insert, ...), .... You could work on and modify the DaDaBIK core code of course, but it might be not so trivial.

Best,

Ronb2108

Hello Eugenio .. thanks for your help.

The problem may have been that my database didn't have a primary key when I did the install. I set the id field as primary key and deleted/re-added the field from dbsynchro but then I had other problems (code 8 in the front-end). In the end I deleted my table using phpmyadmin and then created a new table and re-installed DaDaBIK and the icons have returned .. so that's good.

Question ... if I change a DB table, I see that from admin->pages I can unistall a table but how do I install new one ? I know that I run install.php but surely this is installing the entire DaDaBIK as opposed to just telling it about a new table ?

The admin->users and admin->groups are still split however. My PHP version is 5.3.

Re: the password ... what's the point of allowing a user to enter a hashed password directly if the only way to get a usable password is to crypt it ?

DaDaBIK will be a very valuable tool for maintenance of the database (i.e. CRUD functions). It has saved me writing a whole load of code.
I don't feel like hacking DaDaBIK under the covers so I will probably use a standard WP plugin for the other functions. Can I assume that no caching is going on in DaDaBik so that any changes to a table are immediately visible ?

Grazie Molto
Ron

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

1) Install a new table: Admin->Pages->Show->"Other, not installed, tables"

2) Read the last two replies I posted here: https://dadabik.com/forum/read.php?1,18782,18900#msg-18900 you are probably experincing the same PHP bug

3) No point, we know, you are right, "legacy" approach :) we'll change it.

4) If you mean changes to the data stored in a table, yes, you can assume it

Best,

Ronb2108

Thanks Eugenio

Upgraded PHP level to 5.4.45 and all seems well with the sidebar menu now. Also tried 5.5.38 and 5.6.30 and still good.

Cheers
Ron