Printing in v.3.0

C

Celina

I have installed the new version. However, I donot see any print button for printing! Rest everything works perfect. Do I need to integrate the print css myself? Or am I missing something?

D

Debbie Sontag

Celina

This is set up in the header file where it calls two stylesheets:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles_screen.css" type ="text/css" media="screen">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles_print.css" type ="text/css" media="print">

The two stylesheets are used by the browser depending on the media type (one is screen and one is print). To customize the way your information prints, you would customize the "styles_print.css" file.

If you want to add a print button to all your pages, you can do so with a bit of javascript:

For a button:
<p>
<form>
<input type="button" value="Print this page" name="Print" onClick="javascript:window.print();">
</form>

For a Link:
<p>
Print this page

Debbie

(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.0)

C

Celina

Thanks Debbie.
I have two issues on this matter-

1)I have a different header and footer for display which I would not like to be included in the printed pages.

2)window.print() would print all the window contents! The url (along with the variables) also gets printed on the page. This is not a goos report printing alternative!

D

Debbie Sontag

Celina

You did not specify that you had specific printing requirements so I did not provide any information about customizing a print page. Also note that there is a class used in some of the files which will prevent whatever is inside the applicable tag from printing (I believe class name is "screen_only").

As for issue #2 ... The information you are referring to (if I understand correctly) is the page header and footer that the browser prints out. This information is sent by the browser to the printer and is controlled by the user in their own browser settings - not by the server or a program running on it. This type of customization in stylesheets may be available in the future, but right now it is not possible to change user settings.

You may also want to check out the print script located at >>> http://vsbabu.org/webdev/phpdev/. I have used this script before, but not in conjunction with DaDaBIK, so I do not know if it will work.

Good luck!
Debbie

(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.0)

D

Debbie S

Celina

I forgot to mention in my post earlier that there are a number of "PDF on the Fly" type solutions to create PDF files from web pages through a link on the page. If you do a Google search on "create pdf pages on the fly" (without quotes), there are a number of links that provide a lot of information on these tools. By creating a PDF file, you elimiate the headers/footers that the browser prints out and have more control over the printed layout of the page.

Two that may be worth looking into are located at:
RustyParts >>> http://www.rustyparts.com/pdf.php
GhostScript >>> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

I have not implemented a pdf conversion tool before, but it may be worth a look if you require more flexible printing and reporting options.

Debbie
(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.1 Beta)