Master/Detail Form

tq1

Hi, I was hoping to get some guidance on this design.

We have a large customer annual review that we need in relational format. Currently, it's in a spreadsheet with 50 rows and about 10 supporting columns. Rather than create one large table with all 500 values necessary for query I wanted to break it out into 10 tables broken up by category. I have those tables tied together through lookups and master/detail - no problem so far.

However during entry it would be incredibly helpful to render the entire 500 field review in a single form. With master/detail we have the data "there" but each item of detail in the master/detail looks pretty clodgy with all 50 data items on that one table. Since we're sitting down with clients to review these / edit these real-time we'd like it all on one page where we could scroll up/down with them rather than click around into very wordy looking items.

What would be you guys recommendation?

tq1

semi-related, how to users add comments to help desk requests in the sample helpdesk application? That would be useful to this design as well :)

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I don't see a way to improve the layout if you have many "items table" referring to the same "master table".

My suggestion, however, is to avoid the creation of the 10 tables: I might be wrong because I don't know the schema of your DB, but from what you said a single table would be fine.

About your second question: I didn't get what you mean exactly, can you elaborate more on this?

Best,

tq1

I ended up going with the large number of tables since I just programitically did it and will eventually want to be able to permission them out based on role here. It works perfectly!

In terms of the second question,when you are in the help desk application I can see comments under a help desk request but do not know how to leave a comment in a request. Ideally I'd like to have a notes field for a number of forms that I am working with.

Thank you so much!!

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
to add a comment to a request you just have to click on "insert new item".

Best,