Support for DaDaBik menu items that call WSGI/Dash Applications

To augment the existing capabilities of creating custom dashboards and reports in PHP for use in DaDaBik web applications, we are curious if there are any possibilities for better integration in calling Dash/Flask/Python based applications that are hosted in the existing web server document tree. Python is becoming a much more commonly used language over PHP in our corporate setting which is driving requests to have DaDabik work with these newer toolsets. We currently host Python Dash/Flask applications using the Apache WSGI module and this works well. Being able to leverage the power of both DaDaBik and Dash applications on the same server would be a seriously powerful combination. Feedback or suggestions appreciated.

Upvote 0

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
can you provide an example of integration you would like to achieve?

Python (and more in general, any type of) applications can communicate with DaDaBIK using the DaDaBIK HTTP API, for example here:

I show, in Python, how to retrieve data from a DaDaBIK application and create charts in a jupyter notebook.

DaDaBIK, on the other side, can communicate with other applications using custom code if they provide an API.

Finally, if you just wan to embed another Web application in a DaDaBIK page, probably you could just use an iframe, exactly as we do for embedding DaDaBIK into a Wordpress page.

Best,

abraun

We maintain separate servers for our python/flask applications, we do occasionally point flask over to the same database. I'm not entirely sure what you anticipate having them coexist on the same server. We love dadabik for the simplicity of creating data entry points for our end users, but use flask when we need highly customized applications that go beyond the capabilities of dadabik, I suppose you may be able to try embedding dadabik into a flask page?

So, as abraun indicated, we also use DaDaBik for the simplicity of creating a user interface for interacting with database content. However, there are instances when a more complex custom report is needed than is easy to generate in DaDaBik or with PHP code. In these cases, staff at our company have been using Dash/Flask and Python to fill the gap. All the legacy reports and forms previously developed are within a DaDaBik web application which makes for a disjointed user experience when these newer reports are needed. We would like to place calls to these Python reports written in Dash to run as WSGI sessions on custom menu slots within the existing DaDaBik application. This would provide the most flexibility for the plethora of database table and field interaction and the various reports a user might need. I have looked thru the DaDaBik API documentation and that seems a good fit for passing data from DaDaBik tables to Python/Dash which may help in the future but the primary desire right now is to run a Python/Dash app from within DaDaBik. Getting a WSGI call/link/alias to be correctly called from a custom menu is the goal.
Any help there is appreciated.

Can you provide an link to the iframe example in the documentation that you referred to as 'exactly as we do for embedding DaDaBIK into a Wordpress page'.

Thanks,

-Todd

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I was referring to the use of a simple iframe in a DaDaBIK custom page.
If you have your python application at the URL http://myapp.com/mypythonapp then add an iframe like:

HTML:
<iframe src="http://myapp.com/mypythonapp"></iframe>

Best,