Checking for unlinked fields

PatKwi

Hi I have two tables:

BARCODES
ITEMS

The barcodes table contains 100 possible barcodes that I can use to attach to items in my business. Not all ITEMS have an attached barcode and some ITEMS use the same BARCODE. Right now not all of the BARCODES are attached to items. When I add a new ITEM that needs a new barcode I need to search my BARCODES and find one that has not been attached to another ITEM. Which is the most efficient way to handle this? Do I create an intermediary many to many table BARCODES_ITEMS? And look at this table to see which BARCODES are not attached?

Another issue us that if I create this many to many table then I need to be able to search my ITEMS by Name~Package Type (Package Type comes from a linked table PACKAGING - I need to be able to see the ITEM NAME~PACKAGING NAME (not ITEM NAME~PACKAGING-ID).

Thanks.

deep64blue

DaDaBIK Guru
Can you provide the scheme for each of these tables please.

Do you want to add the new Item do you need a dropdown list of unused barcodes?

PatKwi

Yes having a dropdown of unused barcodes would be fantastic. What is the best way to get you the schemas?

deep64blue

DaDaBIK Guru
How big are they, can you just zip an export up and attach them here? If not I really just want to look at the primary key for each table and how BARCODES are represented in the ITEMS table.

PatKwi

Does this work for you?

Attachments

• items schema1.jpg
    items schema1.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 2
  • barcodes schema.jpg
    barcodes schema.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 2

PatKwi

And one more

Attachments