i completely misunderstood this product

mhamlett

the setup and execution of this program was not at all what i expected.
i thought this was a system that allowed you build up to 5 apps against 5 tables. wrong
i also thought you could point to the database server and tables you want to build an app against...wrong
so i created a php site on the hosting company i used.
created a mysql db for the what i thought was the php softwares meta data.

i get into the app.
it wants to access to tables in the mysql table..only. no way to point a connection string to the ms sql db i use for my clients.
i also find that you HAVE TO INSTALL the product for every app you want to build.
not sure how people find this productive
if im wrong let me know. maybe im still confused.

so if you install this package 5 times into 5 different directories and you want to upgrade... you do it 5 times. how is that productive.

i also do not want to install all the dadabik tables in my production customer database. and i have to install it once for every app i want to do. thats alot of tables corrupting my PRODUCTION database.

if im wrong let me know but this is how i see this product running.
i thought this was a system you install, point to a table to create a CRUD apps.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
in the demo page there is a video where you can see EXACTLY how DaDaBIK works before trying it.

Anyway, I'll try to answer to some of your doubts

> i thought this was a system that allowed you build
> up to 5 apps against 5 tables. wrong

Not sure what you mean with 5 tables. It's true that with a PRO license (you didn't specify which version and edition you are running) you can build 5 applications, each one can have unlimited tables, not just 5.

> i also thought you could point to the database ser
> ver and tables you want to build an app against...
> wrong

Yes, you specify the database and dadabik build the app over that database, you can also exclude some tables.

> so i created a php site on the hosting company i u
> sed.
> created a mysql db for the what i thought was the
> php softwares meta data.
> i get into the app.
> it wants to access to tables in the mysql table..o
> nly. no way to point a connection string to the m
> s sql db i use for my clients.

Wrong, it support MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite and MS SQL Server so I am not sure what you mean.

> i also find that you HAVE TO INSTALL the product f
> or every app you want to build.
> not sure how people find this productive
> if im wrong let me know. maybe im still confused.

When you launch the installation, DaDaBIK basically creates some tables prefixed with dadabik_ that it uses to store its metadata and configuration. Without this process, how could a new application work?

> so if you install this package 5 times into 5 diff
> erent directories and you want to upgrade... you d
> o it 5 times. how is that productive.

Yes, if you have created 5 different apps, that could also reside in 5 different servers you have to upgrade all of them and I think 99% of the on-premise software of this kind work like this.

> i also do not want to install all the dadabik tabl
> es in my production customer database. and i have
> to install it once for every app i want to do. tha
> ts alot of tables corrupting my PRODUCTION databas
> e.

Yes, DaDaBIK creates some tables but I wouldn't call this process "corruption", your tables by default remain untouched! They are additional tables whose name is prefixed with "dadabik_" or any other prefix you prefer.

Best,