New upgrade procedure

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,
I am working on a new upgrade procedure.

The general idea for the new procedure is:

1) you copy the zip file you download into an "upgrades" folder

2) you run the upgrade script, that should take care of everything (copy only the needed files, change the database schema if needed, update the version information).

The new procedure should also work for old versions (version >= 5), after having manually copied the new upgrade script into the old DaDaBIK installation folder.

Since for some very customized installation this process might be not suitable, the idea is to also keep the old upgrade procedure (you replace the files by yourself).

It's not a trivial thing to develop, it's full of tricky details and I would like to hear your comments, ideas, thoughts about it.

Thanks!

AndyB

Eugenio,

I would love a process where I could do the upgrades quicker, it always takes too much time for me.
I look forward to seeing this and absolutely understand the time it takes to develop such a script.

Andy

FRW

Hi Eugenio,

great idea!

For me it is the most uncomfortable thing to do all the "private" things I have done before to make the dadabik-app to my own.
Therefore would be a check useful, on wich places I have to look for.

In the past I had done most of the personal adjustments indeed within the "custom" folder and files, but forgot the old adjusments in the config.php.

I do this usually with "winmerge" to check the differences and an update will be done not very difficult. If this will become easyer, I wouldn't say "no"!

An idea by the side:
If I am reading the forum threads, there are many questions asked again and again. Wouldn't it be useful to do a Little "How-To-Wiki" or something like a "self-growing" manual?

Hope you and your family will stay fine and we all come through - therefore I'm going right now to https://foldingathome.org/ to join and share.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Andy said:
I would love a process where I could do the upgrades quicker, it always takes too much time for me.
I look forward to seeing this and absolutely understand the time it takes to develop such a script.

Thanks Andy; yes, I know the upgrade process can be tedious and I am trying to make it much easier.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
FRW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Eugenio,
> great idea!
>
> For me it is the most uncomfortable thing to do al
> l the "private" things I have done before to make
> the dadabik-app to my own.
> Therefore would be a check useful, on wich places
> I have to look for.
> In the past I had done most of the personal adjust
> ments indeed within the "custom" folder and files,
> but forgot the old adjusments in the config.php.

If the problem is the config.php file, I think you can check the differences with the standard file distributed and then forget about it and only use config_custom.php, that's the easiest solution, even considering the future upgrade procedure.

> An idea by the side:
> If I am reading the forum threads, there are many
> questions asked again and again. Wouldn't it be us
> eful to do a Little "How-To-Wiki" or something lik
> e a "self-growing" manual?

Yes it might be useful but the risk of spreading the information among too may sources is high.
Apart from the documentation, the forum and canny.io, one month ago I started this video series (one episode every Monday)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWTD7do16U&list=PLyWUHBXAWIOQG1RWZfJ-kp9kMrnfrVAzq
that should cover exactly those needs: I am trying to focus on simple everyday problems that might arise during the development of a DaDaBIK application, considering the questions I've been asked the most during the last years.

> Hope you and your family will stay fine and we all
> come through -

Fortunately at the moment we are fine, thanks for asking and I hope the same for you!

therefore I'm going right now to [u
> rl=https://foldingathome.org/]https://foldingathom
> e.org/[/url] to join and share.

Great!

huggi

Hi Eugenio,

I would highly appreciate such a procedure.
I have some folders inside the dadabik-folder with java-programs that are called from dadabik custom-pages. Of course they have to be safe from manipulation within the update process.
That is the only concern from my side...

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Michael

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
huggi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Eugenio,
>
> I would highly appreciate such a procedure.
> I have some folders inside the dadabik-folder with
> java-programs that are called from dadabik custom-
> pages. Of course they have to be safe from manipul
> ation within the update process.
> That is the only concern from my side...
>
> Keep up the great work.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Hello Michael,
interesting, you are calling the java programs using PHP exec()?

Your folder will be safe because the procedure will replace dadabik files/folders only; as additional security measure, I was thinking about adding in config.php an editable array of file/folder names that the upgrade procedure shouldn't touch.

Best,

huggi

Hi Eugenio,

I am using popen() to be able to control scrolling the output in the browser.

If you are interested:
I am doing some complex calculations (importing csv data files, calculating licencing shares for music labels, generating invoices via JasperReports, communicating with fastbill via rest api, sending automated Emails, etc.) on my data using Talend Open Studio. This Tool generates jar files that I execute via bash script in a popen() process. All of this is using dadabik as the User Interface for entering the required Data. Reporting is done with Metabase Dashboards that I am also embedding in dadabik custom Pages.

Cheers,
Michael

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting integration!

One of the video I am planning to do is about how to execute python and java code from a dadabik app, and, more in general, which are the options for integrating a dadabik app in an existent information system.

Best,