First time proper user and have questions

niko86

I'm using the version 8 beta release. I have a task to create a database app and Dadabik seems to fit the bill, but i'm pretty new to it.

I know about databases but not very confident with the proper terms, so my question might be hard to understand.

• I have a project table, which holds unique project ID codes.
  • I have a location table, theres a 1 project ID to many location ID relationship.
  • I have a sample table, theres a 1 location ID to many sample ID relationship.

My question is instead of having the user constantly input or selecting the project ID in a location entry. Can I set a page to select a project ID and thereafter an location entries created will know to use the original project selection?

If this makes no sense I'll try my best to explain things better.

Thanks

niko86

I have one more question, how can i hide a field in the forms configurator? My database has an autoincrement column which i don't want showing.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
about the first question: if, from the project table, field id_project, you set a master/details view with table location in the form configurator, you probably get what you want.

About hiding a field: you need to set the insert permissions to NO (permissions manager).

Best,

niko86

Thanks Eugenio, hiding works great.

The master/details view isn't quite what I need, I want to be able to select a project id and this is remembered as the sole project i am entering thereafter so i don't need to select the project as a foreign key when i enter new positions.

eugenio

Administrator
Staff member
If you add a master/details view, every time you insert a new location related to a project, the foreign key is already set.