Workaround for Multiple Databases

rnn

If you make copies of all phps in the root and the config file, rename and replace references and links in the code of those pages, a 'single installation' can handle multiple databases. I was going to do the recommended multiple install thing, but given my minimal server space, the waste of a few megs seemed too much. Instead, the changes add just 128kB to the original install.

Just curious if anyone else has done this and what were their results. Here's what I did: http://antialiased.romancenews.net/dadabik_multiDB_installation.html

marbour

Dear mn.

This is a very clever hack.

It's also very easy to integrate.

Do I have your permission to take it and put it up on my website where I distribute a version of DaDaBIK for PHPNuke for free? (see at... http://ci2.ca/dadabik.php)

With your permission, also, I would say that you are the author, should you provide me information on you... Line an hotmail address I could refer to in plain text (like: you at hotmail dot com)

Or otherwise, I could simply quote you as mn...

Thanks in advance for your answer.

rnn

Marc: By all means. I don't know about clever, though... I was just too lazy to write my own code so I figured I'd mess with someone else's ;) ...Anyway, you can just quote me as 'Antialiased of www.romancenews.net', that way if anyone wants to contact me - who knows why they'd want to do that anyway - but if they do, I have a message board and a contact page there.

<<also>> Sorry it took so long to respond, it seems the "email replies" thingy wasn't working - Luckily I happened to stop by the board and noticed that there were indeed replies.

marz

RMM
Sounds good
Originakly I did a three tier install of dadabik, (still have it on local harddisk) and boy was that a nightmare.
Also this solution could be used for a site w\ both authentication and no authentication.
Looks like this is the solution many people have been looking for
Thank you RNN.
When I get a chance, I'll package a back setup like that.
Marz