Why can't we reference another table more than once?

D

Debbie Sontag

I have a main table and a team members table. There are five fields within the main table that require information from the team members table, however, you cannot reference another table more than once with V3 (I am able to reference the team members table as often as I want with previous version).

Is there any way that this could be changed for the final release of V3? It really seems crazy if I'd have to create and separately maintain 5 tables just for reference in the main one.

Thanks!
Debbie

D

Debbie Sontag

Posting to get email notice of replies (forgot to check that off when I posted first message).

D

Debbie Sontag

PLEASE HELP!

I've got this V3 working exactly the way I need it to, except for not being able to reference my team members table more than once. Can anyone help in finding where the code is that says tables can be used only once?

Thanks!
Debbie

E

Eugenio

Debbie Sontag wrote:

> PLEASE HELP!
>
> I've got this V3 working exactly the way I need it to, except
> for not being able to reference my team members table more than
> once. Can anyone help in finding where the code is that says
> tables can be used only once?

At the moment it is not possible to reference another table more than once: the creation of an "alias" for each table should be implemented .

(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.0 beta)

D

Debbie Sontag

The old version of Dadabik was capable of linking to the same table more than once (I know because I did it) - why was this removed in the newer version?

As for the aliasing thing -- how long until that will be available?

Thanks
Debbie

E

Eugenio

Debbie Sontag wrote:

> The old version of Dadabik was capable of linking to the same
> table more than once (I know because I did it) - why was this
> removed in the newer version?

The old version didn't perform a join on the tables and wasn't able to differentiate what to write in the foreign table and what to display instaed (ID vs description); the behaviour is very different from 2.x to 3.x

> As for the aliasing thing -- how long until that will be
> available?

I don't know, it will be available with final 3.0 version, I hope by the end of May or the beginning of June but it is not a promise :)

(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.0 beta)

S

scanreg

is this still the case?

if we have at least two tables within the same db and need multiple fields from all tables to create a single display, is this possible?

thx

D

Debbie S

scanreg

Per Eugenio's post, this feature is available as of v3.0 final. We are now at v3.1 Beta.

Debbie
(Latest version of DaDaBIK when this message was posted: 3.1 Beta)